A Nappy Hair Journey. Things I have learned. Stories to Share. Tips and More! Life, Love and Most important Nappy Hair!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Beginning

When I was a child, my mom thought my hair was much too hard to deal with . It was short and course , not long and curly ... you know easy to manage like my sisters, so she gave me a Jheri Curl, at the age of 5. I hated it, and at the age of 7 my mom decided it was time for braids. When I got to 5th grade I got my first perm. I went in between braids and perms my whole life. I have had about every braid style their is. Though my hair was always braided I never had long hair. As soon as it would grow something would happen and it would break right off. I didn't become Natural because of I just loved my nappy hair so much and I wanted to experience it in all it's glory. I became Natural because I got a perm at the beauty shop one day and woke up with no hair in the back the next. I was completely bald so from then on I was afraid to have any chemical come close to my hair. Yet even though I was forced to become natural and my hair grew back to it's original chin length state, for the life of me I couldn't get my hair to grow any longer then that. Everyone around me has had a say. Most people hate my nappy hair, but I love it . Beauticians posing questions of why i just won't get a perm to make their job easier. My family not quite accepting the fro taking it a un-kept hair. Yet I have slowly grown to love myself more because of the acceptance of the state and texture of my hair. It has allowed me to become more accepting of who I am in all my quirks no matter what others have had to say. .... ( more to come , I got a call ... right in the middle of my thoughts)

No comments:

Post a Comment